Electricity is an important part of our lives, and it can't be taken for granted. Please practice these safety precautions and share the following tips with your family. Learn what Edison says about playing it safe with electricity in Kids Korner.
- Replace cords that are damaged or frayed.
- Don’t place cords under carpet or rugs.
- Extension cords are for temporary use only
- Never pull a cord; always pull the plug.
- Remember that overloaded outlets can cause a fire.
- Child-proof your home with outlet covers or plastic outlet caps.
- Fix loose fitting plugs, exposed wires and broken plates.
Electricity & Water
- Never touch an appliance that has fallen into water.
- Shut off power at the breaker before unplugging or removing the appliance.
- Make sure your hands are dry before touching a switch.
- Turn off appliances near the sink after each use.
- Never set a radio or telephone on the edge of the bathtub.
- Don't use a hair dryer if you have wet hands or if you are standing on a damp floor.
- Maintain your home's electrical system.
- Don’t touch an electric appliance if it smells hot or buzzes. Turn off electricity at the circuit breaker.
- Always use the correct ampere rated fuses and circuit breakers.
- Follow the manufacturer's suggested wattage for bulbs in light fixtures and all other appliances.
- Place halogen lamps away from curtains and flammable material.
- Keep space heaters away from curtains, rugs and newspapers.
In Case of a Fire
- Don’t use water to put out an electrical fire.
- Use a recommended Class C fire extinguisher.
- Follow your fire escape plan and make everyone leave the house.
- Call the fire department.
- Never go near or touch a power line. Assume every wire is live.
- If you see a downed wire, call 911 to report its location.
- Never fly a kite or model airplane near power lines.
- Look up before moving metal ladders and scaffolding to avoid contact with power lines.
- Don’t attempt to remove tree limbs or debris from power lines. Leave it to the professionals.
- Stay inside the car if power lines fall across your vehicle. If you are forced to abandon your car, jump clear and never touch the car and the ground at the same time.
- Don't place signs on utility poles. It's against the law and it's a safety hazard for NES workers.
- Never use power tools while standing on a wet surface or in the rain.
- All tools should have three prong plugs or double insulation.
- Look for the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) approval on every power tool.
- Wear sturdy, rubber-soled shoes when working outdoors.
- Check for grounding. Make sure all 3-wired tools and appliances with flexible cords are properly grounded.
- Turn off power tools before plugging or unplugging.
- Before using an extension cord, make sure the amperage rating is greater than or equal to the tool you are using.
- If you own a portable generator for emergency situations, it should be operated outside for proper ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning from the toxic engine exhaust.
- Never refuel your generator when it is running. Let it cool down before refueling.
- Do not store fuel in a garage, basement or inside your home, as vapors can be released that can cause illness and are a potential fire hazard.
- Consider installing a Carbon Monoxide alarm inside your home. If CO gas from the generator enters your home and poses a health risk, the alarm will sound to warn you.
- Never hook up a generator directly to your home's electrical service or wiring. This can cause backfeeding and poses a serious risk to NES lineworkers.
Call Before You Dig
Not knowing the location of underground utility lines can be dangerous and costly. Call 811.